The KASD Education Foundation was created twenty years ago in October 2000, by three Kutztown High School Alumni: Dr. Brenda Winkler, then Superintendent of the Kutztown Area School District, the late DeLight Breidegam Jr., co-founder of Deka Battery, now East Penn Manufacturing, and Attorney Robert P. Grim. Today, the Foundation remains strongly committed to its original mission, “to enhance educational opportunities in the district’s schools and communities, and to recognize the superior achievements of districts students and alumni.”
Our volunteer board of directors takes pride in the many accomplishments of the Kutztown community and how it has rallied behind the school district’s students, teachers, and administration. During the past 20 years, the Foundation and its donor partners have:
- Raised $1,171,904 for senior scholarships and presented a total of 326 scholarships to outstanding Kutztown seniors;
- Received $358,000 from local businesses through the state’s Education Improvement Tax Credit (EITC) program, providing resources to support some of the district’s technology initiatives;
- Assisted with funding of school district facilities improvements including Kutztown Cougar Stadium, Timothy Breidegam Track, and John Silan Gymnasium;
- Helped to implement recent pandemic mitigation protocols including remote learning and expanded outdoor classroom settings with tent rentals at each school;
- Honored 13 exceptional KAHS Alumni including Marvin Schlenker, Class of ’45, co-founder of ABC’s “Wide World of Sports”, and contemporary artist Keith Haring, Class of ’76.
The Foundation plans a year-long 20th anniversary celebration of accomplishments, focusing on various opportunities to further support the Kutztown Area School District moving forward. They will be seeking donations of $20 or any multiple thereof in honor of 20 successful years.